English name: Garo the animation
Genres: Action, Demons, Fantasy, Magic, Supernatural
Rating: R -17+ (violence & profanity)
As some of you might know, I am right in my exam period. Getting tired of studying and wanting to pump myself up, I search for an action anime and I found this: Garo: Honoo no Kokuin. I did not really read the synopsis for the anime. I just saw the picture (above) and started watching episode 1. So obviously I did not get the 17+ tag, and got a little surprised by the beginning of the anime, you know a little blood, gore and indication of the holy act of God… But I’m glad I continue watching the episode, because this anime is good! 🙂
So Garo: Honoo no Kokuin is a typical good guy vs bad guy anime. The anime centers around our protagonist Leon Lewis. He, as his father, is a Makai Knight. Their duty is to kill “Horrors”, people who have been possessed by dark spirits, that threaten the lives of humans. However, Leon is carrying a heavy burden from his birth and through the anime we follow him as he matures and find the meaning of being a Makai Knight.
We obviously meet other characters in the anime. I really want to mention Herman Lewis, Leon’s dad, he really added the humor in this anime, though his womanizing habit is not that likable… But he can be serious when it is needed and loves his son very much!
There is character development in Garo: Honoo no Kokuin, although it mainly focuses on Leon and it was quite simple done. The other characters also has their share, though they only need one or two episodes. Nevertheless, after the anime is over, each character has their own distinct and stays memorable.
Both the art and sound is good in the anime.The art is quite refreshing as it has its own distinct and the animation was well done! The fights got better and better! But I do not like the clothes Alfonso, Leon (the clothes he wears later) and Herman are wearing. They looks so weird! e.e The music is fitting and keeps the scenes exciting. The openings had a 90s feeling in them, both when it comes to the song and the art. Definitely unique! The voice actors also did a great job, convincing the feelings of the characters very well! I just find Leon’s, Alfonso’s and Herman’s “AAAAARGH” in the armor quite funny, as it get totally altered! xD
So to sum up, I recommend the anime if you like fights, demons, magic and are 17+!
If you liked Garo: Honoo no Kokuin, I recommend you to watch Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic!! Both is under the genre: magic, fantasy and demons.
Aaaand, season 2 is confirmed!! It will feature a brand new set of characters mostly unrelated to the main Garo continuity! > 3 <
My spoiler thoughts on the anime (sorry if it is a little messy):
– I did not really like that Alfonso used the armor that belonged to Leon!! I think it was the right thing to confiscate it, but he already had the armor he got from his master! And Alfonso could not understand the pain Leon was going through. While Alfonso wanted to protect his city and father even after losing his mother, Leon did not have anything he wanted to fight for.
-I am glad the Leon only viewed Lara as a family member, cus I did not ship them. But sad about her death, but it was necessary for Leon to know what he should fight for (╯_╰)
– I found it weird that Ema was surprised when she found out Leon was a virgin, what is wrong with that? He is just 17! (┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ And I definitely did not like him losing it to Ema!! I like Ema, but I do not like them together!! ᇂﮌᇂ)
– (Not really a spoiler, but..) What I did not like so much about the anime was that the Makai Knights could not save the ones who had turned into horrors. And when they had killed the horros, the people who was connected to it did not react at all. I mean, you father/master just turned evil and there is no other soloution than end his life. And you just weep a little or smooch your boyfriend? -_-
– I did not get why Octavia stayed loyal to Mendoza after he tried to use her as a shield! He said he would never abandon her, yet he use her as a frigging shield!! ಠ益ಠ
– The feels was too much at episode 24!! ಥ_ಥ I was hoping all along that Herman did not die!! How could heeeeee?! BAAAAKA!! (つд｀) I wished that Herman had stood beside Anna and sent Leon away together
– I did not like that Herman was frequently sleeping with prostitutes. Yes, I get that he needed someone to take over his armor, but it would be better if he did it with one he loved, like Ximena (though I do not approve her!) But couldn’t the armors just stay fused as they did in the last episode? I really like it!
-The ending was not satisfying for me. It did conclude things, but I just don’t really like that Ximena got pregnant.. Like Leon is getting a half brother? And it is like Herman has forgotten Anna (tho I know it is not the case, but still…) But I was happy that Leon did not go with Ema, mwahahaha..
-Speaking of Ema: how could she survive after the last battle?! I am glad she did not die, because I can not handle so many deaths at once. But she was frigging shot in the stomach, and then she moved a lot, which would have worsen her injury.. So I think (even though it would have been super sad), she should have died.
-I actually pity Mendoza a little. He totally deserved to burn for eternity, but it must also be terrible. He burns, getting revived, burns again and getting revived, for eternity.
– I really wished there was an female Makai Knight! It would also have been awesome if we could see Anna in action! 😀