Hello my dear readers! Long time no see! How have you guys been?
I am finally back, and with a manga review and a kpop recommendation!╰(*´︶`*)╯ I have been thinking of “fusing” these two topics for a while now. I am only getting busier and busier and might not be able to write about every kpop song that comes out (and/or that I like) or every manga and anime I watch and read, so I have been thinking of putting them in one post. Of course, only if the theme is the same or they relate to each other. So after writing the review for Haruyuki Bus, I found This spring. Since their theme is about spring and love, why not put them in one post? Then if you want, you can listen to the song while reading the manga!(^▽^)
I came over Haruyuki Bus, when I was looking for a manga I could write about on my blog. This manga was one I wanted to read some months back, but at that time there were some problems with loading the pages (on the tablet), so I never got to read it. I came over this manga again last week and started reading it. Since this was in “history”, I could not see how many chapters it had, so I thought it was a short manga with 5 chapters or so. So I have to say I was pleasantly surprised every time I flipped over to a new chapter thinking “there is more?” (ﾉ≧ڡ≦) Teehee~!
Haruyuki Bus is written by Maki Usami and has 16 chapters that are spread through 4 volumes. The genre is drama, romance, school and shoujo.
Through Haruyuki Bus we get 16 one shots. All of them are cute, some more than others. For some reason, I thought the story would have a more connection to the bus since it is in the name and the cover contains some characters in it. Nevertheless, the bus plays more importance in some story than others. If I remember correctly, there is a person taking the bus in every story. The stories also seem to happen in the spring. So I like that the author managed to corporate the title in every story. (灬╹ω╹灬)
The art is your typical Shoujo manga. It is simple, clean and adorable. Usami-sensei did a very good job with the characters expressions. They always show exactly what every character is feeling.
Perhaps it is because that Haruyuki Bus is a collection of one-shots, that one way or another, the readers get to really know the characters. I truly like that the characters themselves actually expresses what they are feeling and also explains why they are feeling it. Moreover, Usami-sensei manages to make the characters go through a (character) development, which is brilliant work if you have in mind that these are (individual) one shots and that the story line is not that complicated.
Overall, Haruyuki Bus is a great collection of one shots, that is perfect for reading now in the spring!(✿´ ꒳ ` ) The author has done a great job in portraying the characters. The stories are sweet and filled with a little drama. Furthermore, whether it is the characters or the story, Haruyuki Bus manages to stand out from manga/stories that are similar. I absolutely recommend this manga! So go read it now! (▰˘◡˘▰)
Side note; mini comments on the stories that stood out to me. May contain spoilers:
So I like that every story is adorable and sweet, and even if the story went towards a sad past or it might seem that the couple might break off, the author managed to steer it back to a happy ending. For me, these chapters/stories particularly stood out:
- Chapter 1: Looooove the first story!! Super cute!
- Chapter 2: I really like that the main girl was not a typical classrep/top student, book nerd that is cold and hard to approach. Great that she is actually nice and somewhat a air-head. I also really like the interaction between Keigo and Michiru. Also kudos to Keigo’s friend. He knows what to do, and when to do it. He also helps Keigo out in the most unobtrusive way.
- Chapter 4-5: Aaaah, young love（˶′◡‵˶）Like that it portraits the problem(s) young couple might face.
- Chapter 6-12: A nice change that these stories have a more sad approach to them. Nevertheless, I’m glad that the author made them have a happy ending.
- Chapter 8: A more grown-up romance (though our main heroine is only in her second year of high school (´ー｀)). Enjoyed reading how their relationship developed. I can also relate to Sakurako Tsuyuki being touchy. I am also a person who is touchy and loves hugs :3
- Chapter 10: I really like that this story has a connection to the 1st story. I was hoping every story would somehow be connected. Maybe they just went to the same school and you could see characters from other stories in the background or something like that. However, that would have made this manga less special (as this has been done before), so I appreciate that the author made the stories have a connection through the bus and spring. I would actually have loved to have this story from the main characters from chapter 1’s point of view.
So that we could see their kiss!!(/ω＼)
Chapter 11: While the story is nothing we have not seen before, it was very delightful that Usami-sensi did not make the main guy a tsundere or mean, stuck up, brat! He is also so smooth!(=ω=) A very funny and cute story!
- Chapter 16.1: enjoyable change that the bus “came alive”. Was so happy when it was the same bus driver as chapter 3◝(⁰▿⁰)◜
Over to the song:
Jeong Eun Ji is the main singer of the girl group Apink. This is her 2 mini album. I think her voice is serenading, calm yet powerful in The spring! The MV is also aesthetic and calming to watch. You really get a spring feeling after watching the MV(✿◠‿◠)
I really like that the MV shows friends and couples having a good time or being lovely dovely, and Jeong Eun Ji, being the driver, is happy but also jealous of those happy couples. The lyrics are also the story of us single people. I connect spring with love, but when you are single, “Again a season of loneliness comes”. I therefor think this song and MV is spot on portraying spring.